Cheap Detroit auto insurance not what you think.
A lot of companies advertise cheap auto insurance and what they are doing is giving you the bare minimum coverage required by the state. In the long run you will pay more money out of pocket if you have a serious accident with these coverages. For a few dollars more you can protect yourself from lawsuits and high medical bills. Below are the state minimums, but going to the next level will only cost you a few dollars extra per month.
Bodily Injury Limits (BI)
The state requires you to carry these minimum limits:
• $20,000 per person who is hurt or killed in an accident
• $40,000 for each accident if several people are hurt or killed
• $10,000 for property damage in another state
These limits are usually shown as 20/40/10 but can go as high as 1 million/1million/1 million. Choosing the state minimums will make your premium lower than if you choosing higher limits. Choosing the state minumum you will have cheap auto insurance, but the trade-off is that if you are sued from an accident that you are at fault you will have to pay more money out of pocket to cover the lawsuit. So if you have a lot of assets to protect you should stay with the higher limits.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
In Michigan PIP comes in 5 choices having health and disability insurance at work will provide you with the cheapest option of all the choices.
- Full PIP- The most expensive choice the insurance company will pay all of your medical expenses as a result of an auto accident.
- Full PIP with deductible -2nd most expensive choice insurance company will pay all of your medical expenses as a result of an accident after your deductible.
- 3 Coordinated PIP choices:
- Coordinated Medical with Full Wage loss- if your primary health care allows you to coordinate this will save you money over Full PIP. (You can’t coordinate if you have a government plan such as: Medicare or Medicaid.)
- Coordinated Wage Loss with Full Medical- If you have a good disability plan at work that will compensate you for your wage loss, but your health will not coordinate. This choice will also save you money over Full PIP.
- Coordinated Medical and Coordinated Wage Loss- The biggest savings from (PIP) comes with this choice because the auto insurance company will be secondary for medical bills and wage loss.
Detroit auto Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Car: One of the biggest discounts that most Michigan carriers offers is Multiple Car Discount- If you are living with a relative and both insure your cars with the same company you should be able to qualify for this discount.
- Multiple Line: Another great discount that is offer is multiple line discounts- If you carry the multiple policies with the same carrier, such as car and home, you will be eligible for this discount.
- Young Driver Programs: Most Carriers offer some form of young drivers, driver education or good student programs that will help if you have a young adult driver in your household.
- Misc. Discounts : Carriers offer a variety of lesser discounts that can also provide savings such as: anti-theft discount, low income, low driving mileage, senior discounts, low income, single drivers and good driving record.
- Taking higher deductibles on full coverage will give you cheap auto insurance. You can take deductibles as high as $1000.oo, but if you have a lien the loan company will more than likely require you not to go over $500.
Check with your Local Detroit auto insurance agent to see if there are any new discounts that you maybe eligible for. Examining your coverage’s is a great way to get Cheap Detroit Auto insurance call 248-888-1134 for a competitive quote today.