Detroit accidentDetroit Accident

Detroit accident can already be stressful, but this situation can be much worse when you find out the other driver does not have current insurance. We will provide  you with steps on what to do when you have an Detroit accident and auto damage with an uninsured driver.

Steps to take when the Detroit accident occurs:

  • First step check to make sure that you are not injured if you are call 911 to request an ambulance.
  • Second step turn on your hazard lights or if it is safe to do so and you have them you can put out warning triangles or safety flares.
  • Third step move out of traffic if the accident is minor and there aren’t any injuries, you should move your auto to an area that is out of the flow of traffic, but close to the scene.
  • Fourth step call the police if the police does not show up make sure that you exchange information with the other party. If the other person does not have insurance make sure you get their pertinent information.   Photo copy of license, contact information and license plate number.  Using a smart phone you can take pictures of these items and also damage to the car.  If the police show up at the scene this they will get this information and it will be available when you get a copy of the police report.  If the police does not show up, try and get as much information as possible so you can later report the information to the police.
  • Fifth step notify your insurance agent and report the information from the accident.

Detroit accident damage options:

    • Option 1: Make a claim with Michigan Small Claims Courts .  The maximum amount you can sue for in small claims court is $5000 this amount was increased in September of 2012.  This means you can sue for up to $5,000 in small claims damages.  You will need to file the fees and initiate this process with the court.  That is why it is important to have the contact information of the other person.  This process can be done without an attorney.
    • Option 2: If damages exceed $5000 then you will need an attorney to start a claim in Civil court to recover your damages.
    • Option 3: Call your agent and make the claim through your own company.  There should not be a penalty if you were not at fault in the accident.  This will usually be the quickest option, because it may take a long time get paid from the other party when you go through the court system.  It is likely that a person who is driving without insurance will not have the money to pay if sued.  The downside to this option is that you will have to pay your deductible, if you have standard or limited collision on your policy.

Detroit accident with Hit & Run:

If the other party leaves the scene your only option, will be Option 3: Call your agent and make the claim through your own company

If you are involved in a Detroit accident and the other person has insurance you will need to get their information so you can file a Michigan mini-tort claim , to get your deductible. The highlighted explains the mini tort claim process to recover your deductible.