Teen Driving Law Updated
The Senate passed House Bill 4493 by a vote of 30 to 5 on the last day of the current legislative session. Bill is going to Governor Granholm’s desk for approval.
House Bill 4493 will improve MI GDL law to:
- Limit GDL level 2 drivers from having more than one non-family member passenger under age 21. Immediate family members are exempt, as well as travel to and from school and school-sanctioned events. The risk of death increases 158 percent with two passengers and 207 percent with three or more passengers. Prior to this plan, Michigan was one of only eight states without a GDL passenger limit.
- Restrict GDL level 2 night driving starting at 10 p.m. and ending at 5 .m. with exceptions for driving to and from work. This only impacts driving hours; it is not a curfew. Night driving between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m., as well as the hours driving to and from school are the deadliest for inexperienced drivers.
Reasons for passing the house bill is according to the National Traffic Safety Administration:
Teen Driving statistics
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for American teens.
- Young people age 15-20 make up 6.7 % of the total driving population in this country, but are they are involved in 14% of all fatal crashes.
- 41% of fatal crashes involving teens occur at night time (between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.).
- Two out of three teenagers killed in motor vehicles are males.
Many studies have shown that limiting the number of teen passengers allowed in a vehicle driven by a teen or novice driver helps make them safer. According to a March 2008 report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) , when teenage drivers transport passengers there is a greatly increased crash risk, with greater risk association with more passengers. With multiple passengers, the crash risk is three to five times greater.
Hopefully with the passage of this bill it will insure that our teen drivers stay safe while driving. For more information on teen safety please visit our site and look under our Michigan Auto insurance category or for a cometitive quote on TEEN AUTO INSURANCE call 248-888-1134.